Post Thanks / Like

A Tale of Two Snubbies

I made an impulse buy about two months ago of a nice engraved S&W 640-1, which I actually needed to replace an early engraved Model 60 that i’d sold a bit over a year ago.

I figured that I’d use it primarily as a “walk the dog” gun; but it turned out to be so quick and easy to throw in my pocket in a Mitch Rosen pocket holster, that I found myself carrying it quite often. So I decided that if I was going to keep pocket carrying; I ought to look for something a bit lighter.

I headed out to my favorite LGS last Thursday to see what Mike had, and the pickin’s were slim.

I looked at a new Airweight, and a new Bodyguard; both with CT Laser grips. I also looked at a new LCR-X. I didn’t want one with an exposed hammer (the LCR-X), and I damn sure didn't want one with a cat toy on it (both the Smiths), but was almost resigning myself to getting the Airweight, and selling the onboard cat toy for whatever I could get for it.

I bitched one last time about that, and the guy picked up something off the back shelf, asking Mike; “can we sell this one?”

“This one” was a stainless Airweight that’d just come in on trade, and Mike said “yes, but it hadn’t been cleaned yet.” I looked it over, and for a dirty gun it was pretty clean; as in less than a cylinder full of rounds fired clean, with absolutely no finish wear anywhere. Best of all; it was a few hundred less than either of the new “cat toy equipped“ ones!

I had to put a new starter on the airboat this PM, so I haven’t messed with the Airweight any. No pics to show yet; but I did order an Apex kit for it a few minutes ago, the same as the one I put in the 640-1. As a matter of fact; the counter guy at the shop is an older, long time revolver guy (he had a Ruger LCR in his pocket, which he thought was the bees knees). I asked if he’d like to check out the trigger work on my 640-1. He was familiar with the gun, as I’d bought it from him there. He was blown away when he pulled the trigger, and about crapped his pants when I told him the parts only cost 26 bucks.

I’m heading up to camp in the airboat with the older son and grandson with the tide late tomorrow PM, so I may get a chance for a quick cleaning and a pic or two of the “almost new” Airweight tomorrow.

Here they are:

AEFFAD1C-4EC1-4AE5-AAF4-5D547B20C35D.jpgF0820491-42FF-4B71-BFA5-007C07AA74A6.jpg5E71B48D-785F-4B7F-8505-8C36F2FB80D8.jpg4D684CE5-56D0-45E2-A3FE-3BE7F250152D.jpg

Last edited: Sunday at 10:29 PM
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."
    IDPA Certified S.O.
    http://www.guntipsandtalk.com

+ QuoteReply

Last edited by Rick McC.; 11-25-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Post Thanks / Like
    that is very nice
    Governments are ravenous for revenue to fund the promises that purchase votes.