Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff, the bill didn't allow the looters to carry it only allowed gun owners who legally own a weapo to carry concealed during the event. I too have a concealed license but if I didn't I would certainly keep myself armed and face arrest.;

"SB 296 would have allowed those in lawful possession of guns to conceal weapons without a permit during mandatory evacuations and local emergencies, such as riots."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselfire View Post
    Read the bill, not propaganda from either side. You are, and always have been, legally allowed to transport firearms in a legal manner. The bill intended to allow anyone to carry firearms during a mandatory evacuation.

Jeff
    I hope you are right Jeff...but I was reading into what the Sheriff said and what Katrina folks experienced...having their arms confiscated even thought they were stowed away...taken with no recourse or receipt and in some cases, they had to sue to get their guns back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Varrieur View Post
    Hi Jeff, the bill didn't allow the looters to carry it only allowed gun owners who legally own a weapo to carry concealed during the event.
    You assume looters can't legally own a weapon, as did the law. The sticking point for me was the determination of the event, which is usually local (sometimes extremely so) and how far the concealed carry would be allowed (hurricane in the Panhandle, Pensacola under mandatory evacuation, guy in Miami who legally evacuated Pensacola is carrying concealed...) as well as what constitutes a "local emergency." Could someone carry during a sinkhole? Boil water notice? Fire next door?

There were a lot of problems with the law the way it was written (the amendment considered some and introduced more...) and there were a lot of issues with the way the legislation was sold to the public (Defend your rights to keep your guns instead of losing them to looters!).

The idea is good. The specific execution was flawed. Welcome to the process of legislation...

Jeff

4. Likes Rick McC.  liked this post