Post Thanks / Like

100 Years of Service LW Commander

I decided to post this just for fun.

In 2011 I bought a stainless LW Commander XSE.

It came with the standard (at that time) sort of an “off pink” looking anodized finish on the frame, which came with scratches through the finish under the right side ambi safety, before I even fired it. Since the Colt warranty only covered cosmetic issues for a period of one year back then (I have no idea what it is now), I decided to get the frame attended to under warranty.

I emailed Brent Turchi, who many on here will remember was the Custom Shop and warranty manager at Colt back then. I told Brent about the scratches in the finish, and asked if, while he had it there, he’d swap out a standard thumb safety for the ambi it came with; otherwise I’d be having to change it out myself. (I have NO use for an ambi on a carry pistol.) He said sure, and sent a call tag for me to return the pistol.

After a bit, the Commander found it’s way back home; sporting a nice silver/grey Cerakoted finish on the frame, and a standard thumb safety.

I shot it a few times, and, after a month or so with no problems, decided to give it a good cleaning and put it into the carry rotation.

I detail stripped the gun, and, when cleaning the barrel, noticed something about the stamp on the barrel. Looking closer, I saw that it now sported “-N.M.” after the caliber designation. For those not familiar with Colts, it identifies a “National Match “ barrel.

I gave Brent a call, as I wasn’t 100% sure if it’d been there before, or not. He laughed, and said “I wondered how long it’d take you to notice that.”

Brent was a great guy, and, wherever he landed after leaving Colt; I hope he’s doing well.

I can say without reservation that Colt is one pistol that’ll never leave my collection!

5F1F9152-98B9-42EA-92FC-C357641E893F.jpg

Last edited by Rick McC.; 12-22-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Rick, I was in the market for another commander sized 1911 and the Colt was on my final list of 3 but decided to go with the Springfield Armory Range Officer Lightweight Champion. It's a 4" bull barrel but decided to go with it anyway. The only thing I plan on changed to start with are the grips.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

3. Likes Rick McC.  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    Very nice Rick, I was in the market for another commander sized 1911 and the Colt was on my final list of 3 but decided to go with the Springfield Armory Range Officer Lightweight Champion. It's a 4" bull barrel but decided to go with it anyway. The only thing I plan on changed to start with are the grips.
    Good luck with your new SA. Be sure to post a range report, Carson!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Good luck with your new SA. Be sure to post a range report, Carson!
    Hoping to have it today but it may be a week or so before I get to the range, I've had a sick pup so I haven't been since early Dec but things are looking up finally.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry