Post Thanks / Like

Sig Ultra 1911 Tribal

Paula showed me a pic Bronxboy (alumnus of Brownie’s mobility impaired threat focused pistol course a few years ago) posted on farcebook, which turned out to be from my favorite LGS.

I checked them out, and found that while they were listed as “out of stock” everywhere; the reviews I found were very positive. So, I went down there today and picked it up. Mike did say that he couldn’t get that model any more.

I had a busy day, and didn’t get it on the bench until late this PM. Everything looked good, other than a little MIM, and the whole thing being loaded with a whitish grease. I didn’t have time to do a detail strip, but got things cleaned up pretty well, including the FP and extractor channels. Yes; even though Sig 1911’s have external extractors, they have extractor channels.

Fit and finish is very good, and I like the fact that it has a 3.3” barrel, rather than the three inch ones seen on most sub-compact 1911’s these days.

I gave it a wringing out up at the Range last Saturday, and had no functional issues shooting over 100 rounds through six different mags.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

2. Likes flphotog , frgood , BangBang  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few features that “tipped the scales” for me compared to other brands were; FLGR with a flat wire non-captive recoil spring, rather than the multi-layered recoil assemblys found on most S/C 1911’s (so no funky “takedown tools” needed). [I don’t care for FLGR’s on the larger model 1911’s, but on the sub-compacts it’s warranted.] Nite sights, decent stocks, a nice trigger pull, interesting tribal engraving on the sides and top of the slide, a smaller sized hammer spur and GS similar to the Wilson tactical carry ones, checkered front and backstrap, and two seven round mags (made by Check Mate, according to the Patent# on the follower) included.

Oh yeah. It has a mag well. On an officer’s sized grip frame, that extra 1/4” is nice.

A couple of days later, I took the Tribal over to my bench, removed the slide assembly, then pulled the stocks, MSH, TS, and the sear spring. (It’s also a good idea to remove the slide stop/thumb safety plungers and spring when the TS is removed, so they don’t wind up lost.)

I didn’t feel like a further detail strip was warranted, based on how things looked and moved freely. So, I just replaced the stock sear spring with a Cylinder & Slide light pull sear spring, wiped that damn grease off all the parts I’d removed, then lubed and reassembled everything.

The trigger pull went from 5 1/2 pounds with the stock sear spring to 4 1/4 pounds with the C&S spring.

All told, that was 20 minutes well spent!

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a very nice gun Rick. I don't have any 1911s in that size, I prefer the government models myself. I think the jury is still out on the tribal decorations on the gun. I do believe I would have to change out the grips, but then I change out the grips on all of my 1911s!

When I bought my last 1911 it was a toss up between a Sig and The Colt gold cup trophy. Both guns were in the same price range and both guns have a good reputation. I ended up buying the Colt because I thought it might be easier to get rid of down the road should that ever have to happen. I am not sorry that I bought the gold cup but I also don't think I would have been unhappy with the Sig.

I wish you good luck with it and shoot safe my friend!

Don
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

5. Thanks Rick McC.  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I shot it at today’s IDPA Bug practice, and pretty much outshot everyone there, including a guy with a full sized Gov’t. Model 1911. All told, I shot another 100+ rounds today, including a couple mags of 230gr hollow point.

That little gun will definitely shoot lights out!

I cleaned it when I got home, and put it into the carry rotation.

Rick

7. Likes frgood  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am taking a liking to those smaller 1911s. Although much of that may be to simply their 'cute factor'. I'm under the impression that they can be a solid performer and you have the skills to ensure that. A bit with BangBang on the etching, but function over form. Right?

You bring some of the neatest ways for me to become penniless - Thanks Rick.
    It sounded a lot funnier in my head.

9. Likes Rick McC.  liked this post
    Thanks Rick McC.  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime, Fred!

Rick

11. Likes frgood  liked this post