Thread: Shotgun Chokes

Post Thanks / Like

Question Shotgun Chokes

At the sporting clays events I see shotguns of all types and varieties, many of which have those pretty extended choke tubes sticking out the end of their barrels.

Many are multicolored and some even have holes like a compensator. They may extend an inch or so out of the end of the barrel. Since the majority of shotguns come with chokes inserted in the barrels, and flush with the end of the barrel, I am wondering what the extra inch does for the shotgun. They certainly are expensive, can cost upwards to $100 each so if you want to keep several different sizes around you will have a big investment. My question is is it worth the extra bucks, is their a measurable benefit?

Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    “Is there a measurable benefit?”

Not that I know of.

The ones in my old Winchester 1300 Turkey Gun have a knurled extension with holes in it the spanner fits that’s about 1/4” beyond the end of the barrel.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a few bucks and bought some good quality Carleson chokes for my inexpensive Stoeger O/U 12 gauge and my score in sporting clays jumped 5 points first time out. Not sure if that really means anything but I will see how I do next time out.

Part of your success is knowing which barrel to fire at which clay. You add your choke with the wider pattern spread to the lower barrel, maybe an improved cylinder choke, which is furthest from the sight pattern since accuracy is not as good at the top barrel. Then select that barrel for the closer clay, maybe an incoming clay shot. The top barrel will have the longer range choke, say a modified choke, which is closer to the sight picture and more accurate for longer shots. Understanding that and practice practice practice is the secret to improving your scores.
    Last edited by sig232; 03-17-2019 at 08:42 AM.