Post Thanks / Like

Ammo Recommendations

Just bought a Glock 17 Gen 5. For EDC I was thinking Federal HST. Not sure if I need 124gr or 147gr. Also please chime in if you think a different ammo is better. One more thing. If I stock up with say 4,000 rounds for the Zombie Apocolypse obviously I need something cheaper than HST. Any ideas there? Maybe that ammo could also double as practice ammo so as not to have 3 types? What do you guys do? Sorry for all the questions but I would hate to buy 4,000 rounds of the wrong stuff. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Mods...If this post is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy my store bought ammo from Freedom Munitions, though Walmart ammo prices are pretty good now.

I prefer 115gr in 9mm, but a lot of guys shoot 147gr at the matches.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 06-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

3. Likes Old N' Grumpy  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grumpy,

You will find that the 147g shoots a bit softer in your G17. It's more noticible in the smaller Glock 26 but still enough to notice.

As the price differences online are very insignificant and generally on sale, stocking up on 147g would be the solution.

Most people can't really tell the difference between 115/124/147g in the full sized guns, but you should see at least a small bit of improvement with the 147.

On the defensive rounds, the HST will work just fine in 147g. Not a problem.

AD
    NRA Instructor/Safety Officer
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Glock Armorer
    Open Carry Advocate
    USPSA/IDPA/ICORE

5. Likes Old N' Grumpy  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see Palmetto Armory has been running a sale on Winchester 124 gr 9mm for about $10 per box. Free shipping if you buy 10 boxes or more. Also Blazer Brass in 115 gr for same price.

7. Likes Old N' Grumpy  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would also suggest that you check often with Vic at Florida ammo traders for a good price on ammo. He doesn't have it every week but when he does have it he sells it for a competitive price compared to what has been posted in this thread. Just let him know you're a member of The Forum and tell him what you're looking for. I buy from him in bulk, I don't bother with two or three or four boxes at a time, and I usually end up with 115 and 124 grain 9 mm. I also buy .45 ACP from him very reasonably.

There is a very good reason for establishing yourself as a loyal customer with a regular brick and mortar supplier. When ammo prices goes through the roof the next time, and it is when not if, and the ammunition is hard to get, it's nice to have a source close to home that you can count on.

He is also a very loyal supporter of this forum and he helps keep the lights on. To me that's a very important thing to have.

Don
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

9. Likes sig232 , Old N' Grumpy  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Don...just an FYI as I see you are into rimfire. LAX Ammo had CCI .22 WMR on sale for $80.00 for 500 rounds (.16ea!). Might still be on sale. I grabbed 2,000 and got free shipping too!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good price grumpy! Thank you sir...

Don
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought the Hornady ammo was pretty good for EDC. Ball ammo for large cache.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail… the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.”
    -- Jeff Cooper