Post Thanks / Like

AR .22 conversion kits

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the .22 conversion kits. Just looking to get a little less expensive trigger time.

Thanks
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Post Thanks / Like
    No I just bought a .22 in M4 disguise!

Attached Images Attached Images
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail… the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.”
    -- Jeff Cooper

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have any .22LR "conversions" either. I have a complete AR-15 in .22LR, and my wife has an S&W 15-22.
    This is not a Bakery. I do not sugar coat anything.
    If you ask for my opinion, that is what you will get.
    Do Not be mad, when it is not what you want to hear.

If you have a problem with me, Call Me.
    If you do not have my number, you are not
    close enough to me for me to care if you
    have a problem with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many folks see the .22LR "conversion" kits as a simple and inexpensive way to adds a tactical .22 rifle to their collection. Many times the kit does what they want and they are happy with the result. However, be aware that while the conversion kits promise ease, convenience, and a dollar savings they are not all everyone wants them to be.

The downside of the conversion kits is less accuracy and (especially if used a lot) substantial maintenance.

A 5.56 (or .223) barrel is usual 1:6 to a 1:9 twist. A .22LR barrel is usually in the neighborhood of 1:16 twist. The slower twist required for the 5.56 does not provide the stabilization for the lighter slower 30 to 40 grain .22LR bullet and does result in a loss of accuracy. If you use standard velocity or subsonic .22LR ammunition the lower velocity results in even greater loss of accuracy.

The other problem with the .22 conversion kits is maintenance. The .22 is a blowback action which requires no gas port or tube. By installing a conversion kit in a 5.56/.223 upper that does have a port and tube you will find the dirty .22 ammunition will enter and plug up your gas port/tube especially if you shoot .22 regularly. The gas port/tube is difficult to clean and if not cleaned regularly residue from the .22 powder and lead will plug the port/tube to where the upper will no longer function as a 5.56/.223. When that happens it usually requires a trip to a gunsmith to clean up or a replacement of the gas port/tube.

The solution to all this is to buy either a dedicated AR15-22 or a dedicated AR15-22 upper. These can be found at Palmetto, Joe Bob's, CMMG, CDNN, or any of the other large on line distributors. To save the most money you can buy a look alike AR 15-22 from companies such as Armscor and Mossberg. These are simply inexpensive .22 rifles installed in a plastic housing that resembles an AR15.

One of the most popular AR15-22's available is the Smith and Wesson AR15-22. This is a wonderful rifle with one downside. The S&W rifle is proprietary and the upper and the lower is not compatible with any other spec AR. You will not be able to switch out the upper or lower with any other AR....

When you take everything into consideration including the cost of the conversion kit you might be better off simply buying a Ruger 10/22 and shoot .22's for the next 75 years or so!

The AR platform makes a wonderful .22LR that is enjoyable, accurate, and a very good rifle to train youngsters... Just pick the version you like and can afford and shoot safe!

Don
    Last edited by BangBang; 03-06-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

5. Likes waltherppk  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Don, haven't decided what I'll do, if anything at this point. Not really looking for another complete AR in .22. I have a couple of .22 rifles now, a Mossberg which is ok but I'll probably sell it at one point and a Savage Mark ii that is a total tack driver and I love it
    From what you've said and what I've been reading the conversion kits may not be what I'm looking for so I may pass.
    If I do get one I'll probably use it on my Adams Arms as it seems that eliminates some of the cleaning issues.
    Time will tell, I need to come up with some cash first anyway..

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, the AR twist rate of 1-6 to 1-9 is faster than a 1-16 rate.

Slower lead bullets require slower twist rifling so that the bullet doesn't strip off bullet material and "skip" the rifling.

As an example, the Douglas barrels that I used back in my Kentucky rifle building days had a twist rate of 1-64; that's one revolution in 64 inches.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

8. Likes JimmyA  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a price on the CMMG Echo conversion kit that I couldn't pass up. Took it to the range this morning mounted on my Adams Arms Carbine and I couldn't be happier with it. Mainly a function test this morning and it was completely flawless, not a single failure in about 200 rounds, wasn't counting rounds but that's probably close.
    I was using Remington Golden Bullet which I don't much care for but good enough to test functionality. The really surprising thing was accuracy was quite good so I think I can expect very good with better ammo.
    Another nice thing was that I have a Mil Dot scope on the AA and I didn't even have to adjust the scope, I just used one of the dots to get very close to center.
    So like I said this worked very well and will certainly give me cheaper trigger time.

10. Likes brownie  liked this post