Post Thanks / Like

Concealed carry for the ladies!

Unless you are physically built like I am (and there are not many folks that are! ) it can be difficult to find the just right way to carry concealed. If you are a woman, summer clothing styles as well as just the female build makes it more difficult.

Living in a household where I am outnumbered by women who carry concealed two to one I am acutely aware of the problem. I have a daughter with a 27 inch waist who is very active. She regularly horseback rides, jogs, works 3 physically demanding jobs, and basically stays busy constantly. She leans toward hip hugger skinny jeans, tee shirts, crop tops, shorts, short skirts, and short summer dresses. Her choice of carry gun has slowly changed to fit her lifestyle while at the same time creating problems with how to conceal it.

Her #1 choice for her EDC is a full size, stainless, Kimber Gold Match II 1911 in .45 acp caliber. As a back up for when it is just not feasible to conceal her Kimber she also has a J Frame S&W .38 and for when something very small is the only way to go she has a KelTec P32. It is obvious that no holster system will work every time!

My wife, on the other hand, is short (5'5") and well rounded, in her mid 50's, and has completely different requirements for a carry system. She also has a S&W J Frame .38 and a thinner, smaller Taurus TCP .380.

I recently had the opportunity to test the holsters manufactured by Can Can Concealment. Can Can is a small company located in Palm Harbor, Florida that is owned by women who design and manufacture holsters for women.

My wife and daughter were able to test three holsters from Can Can: The Classic Hip Hugger (for all micro & subcompact guns up to 6" overall length and 16oz), The Big She Bang! Series (for large handguns up to 8" overall length and 32oz), and the Garter Holster (For all micro & subcompact guns up to 6" overall length and 16oz). While none of the holsters, obviously, can do everything needed for concealed carry between them they leave very little to be desired.

The Can Can holsters also allow you to carry things comfortably that you would not generally think about. My daughter, wearing the Big She Bang! can comfortably carry a handgun, extra magazine, knife, drivers license, credit card, and cash with no problem. She recently returned from spending Spring Break in the Florida Keys and here is her breakdown and preferences between the different holsters.....

By far her favorite of the holsters is the Big She Bang! She was able to wear the holster with short shorts, mini skirts, hip hugger jeans, and jogging pants. She had no trouble concealing while wearing a tee shirt or any other loose top. She completely concealed her full size Kimber 1911 while walking on Duval Street, eating in restaurants, riding the Conch train, and going in and out of attractions in Key West.

She was uncomfortable while riding a motor scooter, a bicycle, sitting in a theater, or anywhere she had to sit for a length of time. Sam, my daughter, is quick to add that the discomfort had absolutely nothing to do with the Can Can Holster and everything to do with the Kimber being very large for concealed carry.

On the other hand, the Shebang exceled when she was carrying her J Frame or the little P32. The Shebang, as well as the other Can Can Holsters, have multiple pockets which allows the choice of where to carry the gun (front, small of the back, hip, or anywhere else on the holster it is preferred). Sam liked to carry the J Frame in the small of her back and the P32 tucked down in front. With more than one pocket in the holster she was also able to carry her CWP, drivers license, cash, credit card, spare magazine or speed strip, and a Spyderco Folder with no problem. The Can Can Holster allowed her to leave her purse in the truck!

Interesting side note.... she has found that with the smaller guns, especially small .32 and .380 semi auto pistols, the Shebang is the answer when horseback riding. Many times she finds herself out at daylight exercising a horse when she is completely alone with no one anywhere near. The Shebang fits fine under riding pants or jeans and a tee shirt and causes her no discomfort at all, in fact, she reports the holster provides a degree of back support she has not had before. She won't tell me the whole story but she says when you are thrown or come out of the saddle the Shebang holds the gun securely with no danger of it coming loose and being lost.

With mini skirts, sun dresses, or even a bikini top with a sarong bottom her favorite carry option is the Can Can Garter Holster. She was concerned that the garter holster would rub on her other leg and be uncomfortable but it didn't happen. She has carried a very light Titanium J Frame, a TCP, a NAA Mini, and a P32 in total comfort with no problems at all.

If you feel you need a bit more support for your Can Can Garter Holster the company now offers a garter belt which will attach to the holster to help keep it exactly where you want to carry it.

Now for the wife's opinion... The Can Can Holsters are sold by individual size so what fits my wife will not fit my daughter and vice versa. Because of this my wife had the Can Can Hip Hugger and did not try the other holsters. The Hip Hugger appears to me to be a smaller version of the Shebang. The wife reports that while she had no problem with the holster while walking, shopping, doing errands in town, and even feeding the horses and doing chores at home but she did not like it when sitting for any length of time.

I think if she had given herself a chance to get used to the holster she would have been fine but she said it felt like a girdle and was uncomfortable. She also could not understand why, if she was carrying her purse which she does constantly, why she needed an on body holster. Maybe it is just the "almost 60" distaste for change that a lot of us feel.....

Both my wife and daughter found the holsters easy to maintain. Hand wash in Woolite and cold water and the holster stays clean and fresh.

Bottom line.... the Can Can Holster System does a very good job of what it is designed to do. The materials, fit, and finish of the garments are top shelf. I don't believe there is any holster that does it all but the Can Can Holsters will definitely give options that others don't.

If you have questions give the ladies at Can Can Concealment a call at 888-753-9298 or visit them on line at http://www.cancanconcealment.com/ . Please tell them you heard about them at guntipsandtalk.com.....

Don
    Last edited by BangBang; 04-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.

2. Likes wendy , BamBam , Rick McC.  liked this post
    Thanks wendy , Rick McC.  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Don; I had not heard of them!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is so nice to hear of new ideas for concealed carry and ones that work with different styles of clothes! Don, Sammi and Rosie thank you for your feed back! I now have many ways to try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Wendy, my wife found a cool handbag at Bealls with zipper pockets on each end. She slips her S&W 380 bodyguard right in the pocket, 6 in the magazine, one in the pipe, safety on. Very fast access!

6. Likes wendy  liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, I like this idea! I didnt know they had so many ways to carry! Thats why I love this forum! I learn so much! Thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Don, for the extensive review and links to the Can Can Concealment site. As a mid-60s, 5'10", "well-rounded" female who has been carrying concealed for ten years or so, I'm still struggling to find comfortable, safe carry methods. I have an IWB holster that fits my Taurus 24/7 and my 1911 Commander, but it always feels like I'm putting on armor when I pull up my jeans with that 10-12" wide piece of leather attached inside my belt. I tried another popular, undercover-elastic-brand holster which worked pretty well, but the hook-and-eye fastening played havoc with my, shall we say, dainty underthings? - picking the waistbands in the back terribly. I carried for a time in a fanny pack, but that caused problems with a long-term lower back injury. Most of the time, I ended up carrying in a purse. Even though I have "gun purses" with cables in the straps to avoid having them cut, it was just never a really satisfactory carry method. The pistol is difficult to get to in an emergency, it can't be set down for even a second, it's heavy and tended to exacerbate problems from prior neck surgery, and I looked funny carrying my purse around when at a party or family gathering. No, family gatherings don't require that I be armed , but at other folks' houses, there are usually kids around and nowhere to secure my firearm.

Anyway, the Can Can Big She Bang! holster looks like it might be just the ticket for my carry problems. I'm looking forward to trying one out. Thanks again to you and your family for the test drives and review.

9. Likes wendy  liked this post