Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I chatted with Don late Thursday and he indicated that the VA was taking very good care of him and he had no complaints about his care or caregivers.

He is on a lot of pain medication and that may be the reason the hospital food has zero flavor plus the fact Hospitals are not known for their seasonings and sauces and put out some bland stuff.

Don said he has given up enough blood to feed a gaggle of vampires and stuck with so many needles that we feels like a pincushion. His energy level is very low and it will take some time to work back up to "normal."

He is being moved into the new rehabilitation section of the hospital soon and did not have any room assignment information as yet.

We talked guns for a time and he is anxious to get back to working on his two 1911 builds that are in process.

I wished him well and let him know we are holding down the fort on the forum and thinking about him.

2. Likes ed308 , waltherppk , Rangedog , wendy  liked this post
    Thanks Rangedog , wendy , Rick McC.  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news indeed!

Continued best wishes
    It sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please - anyone - as soon as you hear of a room number let me know so I can send cards !!!!!

I continue daily to wish the best for Don.....he's quite a guy and has treated me terrific especially while I recovered from my surgery!!!!!

Besides, I want him to take me to another Japanese restaurant so he can select my lunch.....last time it was out of this world delicious!!!!!!!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    !!!!! UPDATE !!!!!

As of this evening, things are looking better. Don was moved to the Rehab Center in another building on The Haley VA Hospital Campus, on Friday. He had a complete evaluation on arrival there, and most of the complications have been overcome. Another has cropped up, but it is just a matter of time and some hard work on Don's part to cure it. As we age, and especially when we reach our mid-60s, when we are immobile for extended periods of time, our muscles begin to atrophy, and this is what has happened and is happening to Don. The infections are all gone, the surgery is healing better all the time, and he has been moved to the people that can best help him at this stage of his recovery. He has been immobile for such a long period of time (almost 3 weeks) that he needs physical therapy to help get him back on his feet. He will still be there for at least 2 more weeks, but it may be longer, depending on how well he responds to the therapy. The following address should be the last address change of his stay, and everything mailed to this address following the date/time of this post should reach him without a problem. I will also go to the post where I first posted his address, and update it there.

Don Orem
    Room C-310
    c/o James A Haley VA Hospital
    13000 Bruce B Downs
    Tampa, FL 33612

BamBam
    This is not a Bakery. I do not sugar coat anything.
    If you ask for my opinion, that is what you will get.
    Do Not be mad, when it is not what you want to hear.

If you have a problem with me, Call Me.
    If you do not have my number, you are not
    close enough to me for me to care if you
    have a problem with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update
    The mind is the limiting factor !!!!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    !!!!! UPDATE !!!!!

I rode down to Tampa to see Don this afternoon. I picked up some takeout at Origami Sushi on Hillsborough, and brought it with me. Rosie was there, and we all enjoyed our meal and visited for an hour or so. Don is now in a private room in the Polytrauma building, in the Rehab section. To be quite honest with you, he is very weak, but that comes from being so immobile for such an extended period. He is also battling a dizziness condition that does not seem to go away. He has had an ongoing problem with anemia for many years, and the Drs are thinking that is part of the problem, with the weakness, the dizziness, and the depression being extensions of it. He says that he feels like he is never going to get out of there, but that stems from the depression. He is so weak that he cannot stand without help, and he is not looking forward to the physical therapy, even though he knows that he really needs it. Guys and Gals, if you have his number, give him a call. He says that he really enjoys it when he hears from friends. He also reads this forum many times a day, even though it is too hard for him to post on the forum with his phone. Please post well wishes here, and send him cards to the above address. He is getting better physically, slowly but surely, and now he needs help with his frame of mind.

BamBam
    This is not a Bakery. I do not sugar coat anything.
    If you ask for my opinion, that is what you will get.
    Do Not be mad, when it is not what you want to hear.

If you have a problem with me, Call Me.
    If you do not have my number, you are not
    close enough to me for me to care if you
    have a problem with me.

8. Likes AOCM.RET  liked this post
    Thanks AOCM.RET  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about Don's condition. Don, hang in there and you'll get better. You are in my prayers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas Don, hope things are improving !

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, Merry Christmas from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts!! The good news is that it is in the 50s here and this will be the first Christmas in many years I haven't had to shovel snow. If the weather holds, we'll start the trek back south next Monday.
    We're glad to hear that you're now in the rehab stage of this process. It's tough to get all of those muscles working again but they won't spring you from that place until you're back in your old fighting shape! We need you back at the helm of this forum and working on plans for a record-breaking spring BBQ and Range Day. The Mods are doing a good job of keeping the troops under control and the spammers out but they could use a little help keeping the lights on and the AC going!
    If we keep getting good reports from the rehab nurses, a care package may show up there the beginning of next week. Keep an eye out!
    Give our best to Rosie and Sammi!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas, from us to you, Rosie and Sammi, Don!

Keep working out that PT.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer