Post Thanks / Like

1891 Argentine Mauser

Here is a pic of an 1891 Argentine Mauser, 7.65 x 53. This pic is from the internet because my version is too shy although just as pretty. My Argentine was made at the Loewe Berlin factory in 1892 with all numbers matching except the furniture. She shoots like a dream and doesn't kick near as hard as my 91/30 Mosin. To be honest, I'm reloading and very much to the lower end of powder charges. According to my internet research, after the first two years of production, 1891-92, the chambers were beefed up to handle higher pressures (loads >2,400fps).
    Also, the Argentine crest has been removed from the crown. Again, from my online research, this missing crest is due to the fact the Argentina, at some point, was selling off older models to neighboring countries. Then there was a few skirmishes with those countries and the Argentinian troops were not happy being shot with their own Mausers. This lead to the grinding off of the Argentine crest from the crown. At least that is what I read on the internet; Bonjour!

27.1gn of IMR 3031*
    180gn Sierra SPT (#2310)
    2.875" OAL
    Should be nearing 2,250fps

*I'm using IMR3031 because that is the only Data I have found that is below 2,400fps. Believe it or not, I found two 1-pound cans at a shop in Tallahassee. It was on his shelf for years so he sold me both cans for just $40.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CB236; 09-29-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    "I Reload, Therefore, I Am"

Post Thanks / Like
    CB, I think that it is very cool that you have enough interest in your old Mauser to not only shoot it regularly but to actually reload for it. Since you have such an interest, if you don't already have one, I would recommend you check out a Schmidt-Rubin. They are very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

Has the gun in the picture been sporterized? The stock appears to have been cut down....

I need to add one statement here for the sake of CMA... Gun Tips & Talk in no way recommends, suggests, or stands behind any reloading info posted on the forum by anyone. All reloading info should be approached with caution and used under your own responsibility. GT&T accepts no responsibility for reloading information nor any injury or death occuring due to use of it.

Don
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    BB,
    The pic is from the internet but mine looks a heck-of-a-lot like it. And yes, the stock was cut down but I bought it that way. I hate to say it but I only paid $151 which includes the $25 FFL transfer fee. If you look hard enough, and I do, great deals can still be had.

Here is the link to the reload data that I used for the IMR3031:
    http://milsurpshooter.net/topic/8436#.VeHtQvlViko

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CB236 View Post
    BB,
    The pic is from the internet but mine looks a heck-of-a-lot like it. And yes, the stock was cut down but I bought it that way. I hate to say it but I only paid $151 which includes the $25 FFL transfer fee. If you look hard enough, and I do, great deals can still be had.

Here is the link to the reload data that I used for the IMR3031:
    http://milsurpshooter.net/topic/8436#.VeHtQvlViko
    I completely agree with you about good deals if you are willing to look for them! I have a few .22 rifles. One of my .22's, also one of the most accurate if I do say so, is also one of the best deals I got on any gun.... it is a bolt action, magazine fed, Egyptian Military Trainer made in Cairo, Egypt. I paid $59 for the gun with free shipping and because it was CCR eligible there was no transfer fee.

That one gun purchase saved me more than I paid to get my CCR FFL!

Like you I look through the old military weapons sites and the surplus sites such as Aim and Sarco and it is amazing what you can find!

Please understand, my statement concerning reloading info had nothing to do with your post or load info. I was just taking advantage of an opportunity to repost a disclaimer for the forum's benefit....

Don
    N.R.A Member
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just shooting my 1911 Schmidt Rubin Carbine made in 1918 at the range today. The old military guns are interesting and people always stop to look at them on the range. I am going to reload for the Schmidt Rubin soon along with my longer Schmidt Rubin the 96/11. Your Argentine Mauser is an old girl but a Cougar for any gun guy! She is still turning heads! haha
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like my Yugoslav Mauser in 8mm Mauser a lot better than my Mosin 91/30. I bought the dies for reloading for it, mostly because it's hard to find 8mm Mauser ammo at Walmart, but I'm considering swapping to a 30/06 barrel and custom stock. It has no historic or collector value anyway.

Definitely get an 03 FFL (C&R) for decent deals on military surplus.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read on the internet, the 1891 Argentine Mauser was the first rifle to use a cartridge loaded with smokeless powder as apposed to black powder.

BB, I understand completely the need for the legal mumbo-jumbo when it comes to load data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CB236 View Post
    From what I have read on the internet, the 1891 Argentine Mauser was the first rifle to use a cartridge loaded with smokeless powder as apposed to black powder.

BB, I understand completely the need for the legal mumbo-jumbo when it comes to load data.
    Now we are talking. Here is a subject near and dear to my heart! I really enjoy the old military rifles and the history around them.

The 1891 Mauser was one of the earliest military rifles to utilize smokeless powder but not the first. The French military was the first to utilize smokeless powder in their military weapons. Using a powder developed by Michael Vielle, Poudre (powder) B, the French manufactured their eight millimeter LaBelle round in 1884.

The second military ammunition to use smokeless powder was the Schmidt Rubin 7.5 X 55 Swiss In 1889. There is discussion as to whether this ammunition should be considered as the second military round to utilize smokeless powder because in actuality, it utilized a semi smokeless powder. The Swiss did not use a 100% smokeless powder until 1923.

An interesting side note concerning the Schmidt Rubin ammunition is that it is the only military ammunition that was never corrosive. Any military surplus Schmidt Rubin ammunition can be fired in a gun with no worry of corrosion as you would get from those ammunition utilizing corrosive primers.

Don
    N.R.A Member
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

9. Likes Mountain Man  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just mailed in my C&R license paperwork. No more Transfer fees for the C&R deals I often dig up. I just wonder how long it will take to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations CB! I don't think it will be more than 4 or 5 weeks on the outside but I am just guessing....

I just got my fourth renewal notice in the mail about 2 weeks ago. So, that means I've had mine 12 years.... sure doesn't feel like it's been that long!

If you submit a copy of your CCR by email when you get it to some of the large on line gun and equipment they will qualify you for the regular dealer discount on things you buy from them...

Don
    N.R.A Member
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran