Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question St. Pete man at odds with neighbors over shooting range on his property

Tonight, a St. Pete resident is wanting to shoot his 9mm in a home-made target backstop on his property. He has not fired the gun yet but has announced his intentions. The reaction is of course swift by neighbors and law enforcement. The issue is being fast tracked to Tallahassee for discussion although as brought out by News Channel 8, there was nothing illegal about it. Personally, I was not impressed with the backstop he built. I am not sure what is behind his backstop but the area appears to be a large, dense subdivision based on the map I looked at.

http://www.wfla.com/story/27997914/s...hbors-outraged
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    ....just because you can doesn't mean you should....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangedog View Post
    ....just because you can doesn't mean you should....
    Exactly!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this brings up the issue that Doug had tested down in the Key's as there is no real understanding of what should or should not be allowed as the laws are currently written. As I mentioned to my daughter when the piece came on the news...where is the line drawn? If you have a 100x55' lot in a dense subdivision, that is not acceptable. What if you have 5 acres in that same subdivision? What if it was 5 acres in the middle of nowhere? What if I have the same 5 acres but one neighbor complains or has kids? Should it be 25 acres? 100 acres? It could be much like the issue over in Lithia where it appears a neighbor's bullets were hitting her house and shattered some glass? I don't have the answers but I suspect it might get allot of questions raised!
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy who built the range is a 21 year-old IDIOT. As Rangedog and RickMcC said, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."
    There are a LOT of differences between this situation and the Keys deal. Doug Varrieur set up a Very well-thought-out Backstop,
    and was only shooting rim-fire caliber firearms. I firmly believe that he did it in order to bring to light shortcoming in the Law, as
    written. He also ceased his use of firearms once a viable alternative became available. This IDIOT is just too lazy and cheap to go
    to a commercial range. I have an open field behind my house, with the nearest neighbors at least 1/4 mile away in that direction.
    Al of my neighbors are aware that I own firearms, and I have never heard the 1st negative feedback. I would still never even
    consider using an AIR-Rifle more powerful than a Daisy BB gun in the neighborhood.
    This is not a Bakery. I do not sugar coat anything.
    If you ask for my opinion, that is what you will get.
    Do Not be mad, when it is not what you want to hear.

If you have a problem with me, Call Me.
    If you do not have my number, you are not
    close enough to me for me to care if you
    have a problem with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    That backstop is not even close to being effective if he has a wild shot. Look for some new laws to be coming down the pipe soon as a result of this controversy.

7. Likes Mountain Man , frgood  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sig232 View Post
    That backstop is not even close to being effective if he has a wild shot. Look for some new laws to be coming down the pipe soon as a result of this controversy.
    It is these new laws that require our involvement. Now that the issue is forced, we will have to ensure that the knee-jerk reaction does not become law. It is a shame that a single action can impact millions of people. If the populous wasn't so reactionary, then all would realize this is a one-off and let it go. It is going to come down to how reasonable is this kids.

As I am now thinking this, though, perhaps we, as a gun community, should reach out to him to devise a reasonable agreement. Help him come up with a better backstop design and provide assistance so the the families feel less threatened. Mind you, the one father in the video is going to be unreasonable as he is prone to Reductio ad absurdum (No! you do not have to run to your 'safe room' and, No, he is not going to start running around the neighborhood shooting the kids). If he can be reasoned with. For example

1) Build a much larger and substantial backstop. (width and height minimum size guidelines? 8x8? 10x10? )
    2) thickness and material for caliber.
    3) for a small neighborhood, he'll limit to .22 (suppressed?)
    4) flag system or yellow tape to line the firing lane. (how to prevent kids running across accidentally)

That kind of stuff. I think an effort on both sides would go a long way.
    It sounded a lot funnier in my head.

9. Likes Mountain Man  liked this post
    Thanks sig232  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will blow over with some news hype and outraged neighbors, but the idiot will tire of the drama and quit. He doesn't really want to shoot in his backyard, he wants to stir up a controversy and prove that he is smarter than the law. His fifteen minutes have already expired.

Fortunately St. Pete police are very good at handling legal use of firearms. They get idiots open carrying on the pier while fishing just to exercise their rights.

Jeff

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselfire View Post
    They get idiots open carrying on the pier while fishing just to exercise their rights.

Just what, pray tell, is wrong with "exercising their rights" in a manner that endangers no one????
    This is not a Bakery. I do not sugar coat anything.
    If you ask for my opinion, that is what you will get.
    Do Not be mad, when it is not what you want to hear.

If you have a problem with me, Call Me.
    If you do not have my number, you are not
    close enough to me for me to care if you
    have a problem with me.

12. Likes Rick McC.  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a minute there I thought Doug had moved to St. Pete.