Post Thanks / Like

Finished my GSG 1911-22 Plate Gun

I am hoping that now I have my .22 steel plate gun finished some of y'all will join me traveling over to Titusville, Florida to the Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club and shooting in their once a month Steel Plate Shoots!

One of my recent project guns has been to put together a .22 LR Steel Plate Gun. I decided I enjoyed shooting a GSG 1911-22 in stock condition so it was only natural to want to make it better! One of the requirements of my build was that the gun be able to reliably shoot subsonic ammunition while suppressed. I guess the question being thought of by some of you is why? The answer is because I enjoy shooting my suppressed .22's and it was a challenge.

I use a red dot sight for shooting plates. The problem was that many .22's, when subsonic, will not reliably cycle. The GSG is one of
    those guns. After thinking about my the problem and researching it on line I decided I had it figured out! If I couldn't increase the power of the ammunition I would just have to reduce the weight of the moving parts dependent on that power.

The first thing I did was pull the top half of the gun apart. I also removed the magazine safety at that point. I found a company that was able to produce a 1911-22 slide that only weighted 3 ounces! Then I found a JP Sight which is a small reflex sight that only weighs .5 of one ounce including the battery! It mounts directly to the top of the custom slide with no rail, clamp, or mount of any kind! I figured that took care of my weight problem.

The GSG 1911-22 is capable of pretty good accuracy out of the box but I wanted more. To get it I changed many of the parts in the slide and barrel system of the GSG to tighten up the entire top half of the gun. I installed a custom stainless steel Barrel Bushing, spring plug, Stainless Steel/Aluminum Guide Rod, Stainless Steel Barrel Cap/Thread Protector, a custom recoil spring, and a 17 pound firing pin spring.

I managed to get the new slide, main spring housing, and magwell naked as in no finish or anodizing. I took those parts to my anodizer (Anodizing Inc in Ocala, Fl) and had them anodized high polish green. While waiting on that to be completed I contacted Zane at Lone Star Grips. Zane has a very small custom handgrip company that produces one of a kind completely hand made custom grips. He is in Texas, located just a bit West of Austin, Texas. He sent me some photos of available blanks I could have made into my grips. I chose a very nice piece of English Walnut and ordered my grips. Lone Star Grips is located here....
    Lone Star Custom Grips - Home

This all came together last week and my plate gun was finished!

I shot it this morning behind the barn... it ran like a run away sewing machine shooting 4 different brands of subsonic .22 LR ammunition both with and without the suppressor. It also shot great with CCI regular and high velocity ammunition. I got one inch 5 shot groups at 15 yards with no rest. I am confident I will get better as I get used to the gun. I shot 300 rounds out of the new gun with zero problems of any kind! Life is good!

Thanks for reading and looking at my pictures!

Don

N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dadgum!!!!! That is GoRgEoUs!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Truly amazing Don! Doesn't even look like the same gun...it is definitely a race gun! It looks lean, mean, and fast! You have to love the skeletal look of the slide. It looks like a dang futuristic gun the Terminator might have! Congrats!
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Don, that is too purdy to shoot. I would mount that on a mahogany backboard and put it up on the wall with my Hawkin. Make up some BS story about winning the international championships in Kirkistan and add that narrative to the placard.
    We will all back you up.

5. Likes Rangedog  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, I used to do a lot of plate matches with the 45 1911's. Fun times, and that 22 should be just the ticket with the dot on plates.
    The mind is the limiting factor !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, Don!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished my GSG 1911 22 Plate Gun

Question - Your deck has C series Red Kryps on it.white nylon coreDid the original have 2nd Gen Red Kryps with the metal washer core not usually visible? If you adored this information and you would such as to receive more facts regarding Is it legal to rent out your apartment or Can a landlord evict you if they sell the house kindly browse through our own internet site

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KamAlcop View Post
    Question - Your deck has C series Red Kryps on it.white nylon coreDid the original have 2nd Gen Red Kryps with the metal washer core not usually visible? If you adored this information and you would such as to receive more facts regarding Is it legal to rent out your apartment or Can a landlord evict you if they sell the house kindly browse through our own internet site
    I see a few shooting related post by you, thn run across crap like this.

If you keep it up, you will be banned.

Warning number two.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer