PDA

View Full Version : Hey tech guy, what's up? the photo function doesn't work

Doug Varrieur
04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Simple test for yourself, start a post and try to upload a pic for your computer or from a URL.........doesn't work :( If the function won't work I suggest you remove the option to do so....very frustrating. Just trying to help Don.

Eeazy
04-11-2014, 01:22 PM
alright looking into this now, seems for some reason the vbulletin temp directory got changed, will fix this later tonight

Rick McC.
04-11-2014, 08:23 PM
My pics have always worked from PhotoBucket since day one on this site.

Eeazy
04-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Yes you can link photo's from photobucket, but Doug was trying to "insert" images (lets you upload from your own computer and link url's) and he was right, it was having a java script error i have found.

Vbulletin came out with an update and that update changed a image uploading javascript file (they used one for vbulletin 5 while we use 4.2.2, a much better and more stable version).

I found a guy that had wrote his own javascript for ver. 4.2.2 of vbulletin, loaded it to the server and now we are good to go!

Just inserting a little pic of the new 2015 mustang GT!
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/13q4/543509/2015-ford-mustang-leaked-360-view-and-full-details-news-car-and-driver-photo-548269-s-450x274.jpg

BangBang
04-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Your pic link doesn't work Eeazy....

Don

admin
04-14-2014, 01:15 AM
whaat?! i see it. try reloading the page?

BamBam
04-14-2014, 01:26 AM
It showed up on my page immediately.

Doug Varrieur
04-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Here's a test Eeazy, 102 I've uploaded a picture of a Tank, can you see it? It shows up upon upload but when I click post all you see is text (ATTACHMENT) What happens when you click ATTACHMENT, does the pic come up?

rzach
04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
us insert image at the top of page not ATTACHMENT unless you want to send a letter if you click on attachment 103 you will see most my selfe with my new lap top

ADulay
04-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Hmm, it appears to work from this side.

AD

http://andy.smugmug.com/photos/i-nVMLcwd/0/L/i-nVMLcwd-L.jpg

ADulay
04-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Ah yes, the photo/graphic solution.

Easiest way is to use an "off site" photo hosting area, most of which are free and just link to it.

At least this forum's default when linking is to not use the "reference locally" option, which always used to throw people off of linking photos.

AD

ADulay
04-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Hmm, I've posted up two messages showing that the photo function works just fine and they are "awaiting moderation" before being released.

Have they been "moderated" yet or just deleted?

Just checking to make sure some function isn't out of whack!

Thanks.

AD

Rick McC.
04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Hmm, I've posted up two messages showing that the photo function works just fine and they are "awaiting moderation" before being released.

Have they been "moderated" yet or just deleted?

Just checking to make sure some function isn't out of whack!

Thanks.

AD

I'm not finding the posts you reference to approve the attachments, and I don't know why they would have to be approved.

sig232
04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm not finding the posts you reference to approve the attachments, and I don't know why they would have to be approved.

I don't see any photos waiting to be approved either, nor is there an approval process for photos that I can find.

Might be a sizing issue going on with the software you are using.

I have uploaded from Photobucket this am and that method works fine and the sizing is done automatically.

Mr. Easy is at work and off at 4:30 so I will get a reading from him as so as I can.

sig232
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Here is my photo updated from Photobucket at 2:20 PM on Monday. Like right now!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Softail2005/Computer/ShotgunLogOff-1.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/Softail2005/media/Computer/ShotgunLogOff-1.jpg.html)

sig232
04-28-2014, 03:23 PM
So if y'all will use photobucket or another photo site until our tech guy takes a look at the direct upload from the hard drive system that will work for you.

Thanks
Lee

sig232
04-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Hummmmmmmmmmm..............................this uploaded direct from my hard drive with no problem. Another one did not and that was because the picture was too large, and I got the message to resize it.

sig232
04-28-2014, 03:47 PM

This one was a little more difficult. I had to click on Insert image (above), then from computer(not url), select files, upload files, they then are retrieved as attachments from above menu.

ADulay
04-28-2014, 03:49 PM

OK, I"ll give it one more try and see if I can get the message to display.

OK, it looks like the preview went well so let's see if it will post!

AD

http://andy.smugmug.com/photos/i-r6vgK6p/0/M/i-r6vgK6p-M.jpg

sig232
04-28-2014, 03:50 PM
OK, I"ll give it one more try and see if I can get the message to display.

OK, it looks like the preview went well so let's see if it will post!

AD

Good Job!

ADulay
04-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Rick,

OK, just tried it again. A simple reply to this message but with a small graphic included using the "Insert Image" icon in the message writer.

The link box comes up, I select "Insert Image from URL" and paste it in. So far no problem.

Looking at the "Preview" shows it displaying correctly.

When I click on "Submit Reply" I get the box stating that this message must be approved by an administrator. Hmm, let me go back and capture that message and I'll include it here when I edit this.

AD

OK, the message I get on the screen says.....

redirecting . . .
Thank you for your posting!
Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. You will now be taken back to the forum.
If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

ADulay
04-28-2014, 03:53 PM

sig232
04-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Rick,

OK, just tried it again. A simple reply to this message but with a small graphic included using the "Insert Image" icon in the message writer.

The link box comes up, I select "Insert Image from URL" and paste it in. So far no problem.

Looking at the "Preview" shows it displaying correctly.

When I click on "Submit Reply" I get the box stating that this message must be approved by an administrator. Hmm, let me go back and capture that message and I'll include it here when I edit this.

AD

OK, the message I get on the screen says.....

redirecting . . .
Thank you for your posting!
Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. You will now be taken back to the forum.
If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

Thanks for putting up that message, don't have a clue as to how to approve that post in the settings and trust me I searched top to bottom. I will pass this on to the IT master and see if he can explain what is happening.

Lee

ed308
04-29-2014, 09:57 AM
I just added one via a URL without a problem.

Rick McC.
04-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks for putting up that message, don't have a clue as to how to approve that post in the settings and trust me I searched top to bottom. I will pass this on to the IT master and see if he can explain what is happening.

Lee

Lee; it's in the mod tools (long list you pick from; "delete," etc).

I found that, but even looking through the list of all the OP's posts; the two with attachments he referenced weren't there.

AD: Where are your posts when that "awaiting approval" message comes up?

ADulay
05-01-2014, 11:23 AM

I found that, but even looking through the list of all the OP's posts; the two with attachments he referenced weren't there.

OK, just hit "reply with quote" to your message.

Click on "Advanced".

Started typing the message (this would be it).

At this point I'll click on the "Insert Image" icon on top.

Select "From URL" at which time I paste the copied link from SmugMug.

Click OK.

The photo now shows up in the message like normal.

I click on "Preview Post" and the message and photo all show up quite nicely, as expected.

Then I click "Submit Reply" and it the previously mentioned "Waiting for Moderation" note comes up and the message goes off into never-never land.

This is quite odd as I've posted literally 100's of photos across all of the major (and minor) BBS systems and even manage two vBulletin forums, so this is really strange behavior.

Hmm, I better copy this entire message BEFORE I send it so I can repost it without the photo once it gets lost again.

AD

http://andy.smugmug.com/photos/i-wvfCcKd/0/L/i-wvfCcKd-L.jpg

ADulay
05-01-2014, 11:25 AM

OK, just hit "reply with quote" to your message.

Click on "Advanced".

Started typing the message (this would be it).

At this point I'll click on the "Insert Image" icon on top.

Select "From URL" at which time I paste the copied link from SmugMug.

Click OK.

The photo now shows up in the message like normal.

I click on "Preview Post" and the message and photo all show up quite nicely, as expected.

Then I click "Submit Reply" and the previously mentioned "Waiting for Moderation" note comes up and the message goes off into never-never land.

This is quite odd as I've posted literally 100's of photos across all of the major (and minor) BBS systems and even manage two vBulletin forums, so this is really strange behavior.

Hmm, I better copy this entire message BEFORE I send it so I can repost it without the photo once it gets lost again.

AD

PS Edit... Good thing I copied that before sending as it went off into the digital wasteland again. I'll send this one without the photo and see what happens.

Rick McC.
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
That's what was troubling me, no way to review and approve the posts and attachments.

I couldn't find them even using Mod tools to review every post you'd written; they weren't there.

ADulay
05-03-2014, 04:22 PM
That's what was troubling me, no way to review and approve the posts and attachments.

I couldn't find them even using Mod tools to review every post you'd written; they weren't there.

OK, let's try this again with something new. Let's try a test video from YouTube to make sure there's not a whole lot of things wrong on this side.

I'll delete it once I see it show up in case anybody catches it before I remove it.

http://youtu.be/d1IdcDbkhho

OK, the video showed up and got posted correctly.

Now let's edit this one and see if I can now add a photo to the message.

http://andy.smugmug.com/photos/i-tRbNk6w/0/M/i-tRbNk6w-M.jpg

OK, in a perfect world this would now show a guy at a match.

We shall see.

AD

ADulay
05-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Now let's try this without the video or the editing. Just a simple reply with quote and these words and the same photo as previously uploaded.

AD

http://andy.smugmug.com/photos/i-tRbNk6w/0/M/i-tRbNk6w-M.jpg

ADulay
05-03-2014, 04:28 PM

OK, now the acid test.

Let's try to post the original graphic that may have been causing all the problems.

AD

ADulay
05-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Rick,

OK, as you can see, the "testing" went perfectly normal today.

Go figure!

At least we're not all going crazy, I hope.

You can remove those test messages to clean up the thread as needed.

Here's hoping we've got that crisis behind us!!

AD

Rick McC.
05-03-2014, 08:53 PM
AD:

Looks like things are working for you now.

If you don't want your "test" posts here anymore; I'll delete them for you.

I won't delete any members posts unless they are a violation of forum rules. So no deletions for "clean-up" purposes unless I'm requested to do so by the OP.

Let me know.